Friday, July 8, 2011

New Confidence!!

I ran a 5k this past 4th of July. Yep, that’s right. I did. I didn’t really train for it, unless you think that six days of training is enough for a 5k. Then yes, I did train. Actually, I just got on the treadmill and ran/walked 3.11 miles (5k) to see if I could breath during the exercise. To my surprise I was barely out of breath. So I decided right then and there that in less than a week I’d run/walk a 5k around downtown Nashville.

I have always considered myself an athlete. And most sports that I’ve tried have come fairly easy. Now that’s not saying I competed on a professional level, but locally, I held my own. But this is running. If you haven’t taken care of yourself and are out of shape something awful, then you are not going to perform well……at all. I fall into this category. You see, I quit smoking just over a year ago and haven’t really done anything physical in probably four or more years. So….yes, I am very out of shape.

I have wanted to run in a 5k or some short race like that for a while, but running has always intimidated me. It’s one of those activities you just can’t pick up and be great at. I mean, anyone can run, that’s not what I’m saying. You just can’t start running competitively without training. And you have to train consistently over a long period of time. But anyone can start. So I am.

At the end of the race I was so happy. The fact that I had ran (and walked) a 5k was a huge accomplishment for me. I had gained an inner pride about myself that I haven’t felt in a very long time. And I finished the race a lot sooner than I ever thought I could (37:05). I am already looking for the next race.

I guess the whole point of this besides tootin my own horn is that you have to try…..you have to start……if you don’t do either of those, then you won’t ever know if you can.

Is there anything that intimidates you to the point that you just won’t start? If there was something, what was it and how did you overcome it?

No comments:

Post a Comment